Vacation time is such a blissful time for everyone! No school, no work, just fun time!
During vacation, we can wake up late in the mornings, laze around at home the whole day and have no fixed schedule other than to relax. However, when it is time to get back to the grind, everyone feels down. Both adults and children don’t want their holidays to end.
Beating those vacation blues
Here are some tips that should help you when it is time to get yourself and your child back to work/school.
- A few days before your vacation ends, try and ease yourself back to your usual routine.
- Check to see if you’ve completed all holiday assignments.
- Make a list of activities that are to take place at work/school during the week. These should be activities that you look forward to.
- A few days before your vacation is to end, start adjusting your sleep schedule. After all those days of sleeping late and waking up late, you need to get used to waking up early in the morning.
- Start packing your bag and deciding on the clothes you are going to wear for your first day back.
- The night before, make sure you get a full night’s sleep. Turn in early and wake up rested.
- Talk with your child. Explain how the vacation is over and that it is time to get back to your usual routine.
It is definitely not easy to get out of the vacation mode and to get back into school/work mode. As adults, we find it difficult to shake off the cobwebs, how then can we expect children to do the same?
As much as possible, keep the conversation lines with your children open. Never underestimate the power of conversation. The more you speak with your child and explain things, the more they understand.
The understanding might not happen immediately. It will take time. But you would be reducing the back-to-school tantrums and that is worth all the trouble, isn’t it?